Oct 31, 2011

Old Timey Word of the Week



This week's Old Timey word is "Bucket."  My first thought when I hear the word bucket is something like this...

But, the use of the word I am thinking of is referring to something like this...



Or, something like this...


In the 1920's it was common to refer to a car as a "jalopy" or a "bucket."  These terms usually referred to a lower priced model car that was worn out.  You would not have called a Rolls Royce or a Cadillac a bucket.  Over the years, the term has stayed pretty much the same.  When someone calls their car a bucket, it usually means it is a cheap old car in poor condition. 

Researching these terms has revealed to me that gangsters of the 20s and 30s used a lot of great terms that were adopted by the Hip-Hop and Rap artists of the 1990s.  I can think of more that one time where I have heard Ice Cube proclaim that he was going to "Jump in the bucket!"

No comments:

Post a Comment